We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Beetroot is a vegetable crop that is actively cultivated by gardeners, because it is very popular in cooking.
But before proceeding to planting, you need to decide on the variety. In this case, you need to focus on the climatic conditions of the region, the composition of the soil and the characteristics of the variety itself.
Kestrel F1 remains one of the most popular beets. In the article, we will consider the characteristics of the Kestrel F1 beet, and also learn how to properly grow this beet variety.
Characteristics and description of the variety
The beets of the considered variety are distinguished by a high concentration of sugar, excellent taste and resistance to diseases. The fruits are even and rounded with a smooth surface and a small root. One root vegetable weighs 200-400 g, has a bright color. Even after processing, the sugar concentration in the beets remains high, making the harvested crop ideal for juicing. Productivity - 6 kg of culture per meter of planting.
The ripening period lasts 120 days. If the hybrid was planted early, then it can later be used as a young bundle product. If the planting work was carried out in the second half of July, then the harvest can be harvested before frost and stored for a long time.
Initially, people grew beets to get green leaves, and after a while they liked the roots. The Kestrel variety originates from a wild vegetable that grew in the Far East and India. and was eaten several thousand years ago.
What is the difference from other species?
The Kestrel variety is one of the most popular varieties of table beet, which was developed for cultivation in European countries and the United States. In addition, abroad, it is the standard for quality and high yield.
Advantages and disadvantages
The Kestrel variety has the following advantages:
- tolerates transplantation;
- the rosette of leaves is strong, it is not injured during harvesting;
- resistance to temperatures;
- excellent storage in winter.
Of the minuses, it is worth noting only frequent pest infestation. But this can be prevented if you follow all the rules of agricultural technology.
For what and where is it used?
The harvested crop is excellent for making juices and baby food. Also, root vegetables are suitable for culinary processing, freezing and preservation.
Step-by-step instructions for growing
- Where and for how much can you buy seed? You can buy Kestrel seeds in a specialized store or order online. The cost of planting material in Moscow and St. Petersburg is 3,150 rubles / 50,000 pcs.
- Landing time. You can sow Kestrel beets from May to June. The vegetable is planted on seedlings in mid-spring.
- Choosing a landing site. Beets prefer to grow in a well-lit place where there is diffused sunlight, while there is no direct sunlight.
- What should be the soil. The Kestrel variety will grow well in soil with a neutral and low acidity level. Sandy ground is not suitable for him. Also, the soil should be loose, nutritious and breathable.
- Landing. Before planting work, you must carefully prepare the material. To do this, it will have to be treated with fungicides that eliminate all bacteria. To increase the germination process of planting material, it must be soaked in a growth stimulator for 2 hours, and then rinsed with water and laid on a dry cloth for thorough drying.
Planting seeds is carried out as follows:
- The sowing depth is 2 cm.There should be a distance of 2-3 cm between the seeds, and 20-30 cm between the rows.
- Sprinkle the seeds with a layer of soil - 3-4 cm.
- Lightly tamp the substrate so that excess air comes out.
- Water the soil abundantly with settled and warm water.
- Cover the seedlings with plastic wrap, which must be opened every day to prevent condensation.
- As soon as 2 leaves are formed on the sprouts, you can perform a pick and transplant them into open ground.
- Temperature. The optimum temperature for growing a plant is 20-24 degrees.
- Watering... For uniform development, root crops need moisture, therefore, watering should be carried out regularly, using warm and settled water. Young plants are moistened once a week in the evening, and adults - once every 1.5-2 weeks, it all depends on weather conditions.
- Top dressing. At the first stages of growth and development, plants need nitrogen, and later compounds with potassium, phosphorus and boron have to be added. As soon as the leaves are formed, you can water the plants with a solution of mullein infusion (1: 8).
Kestrel responds positively to foliar feeding. In summer, you can water the plant from a watering can over the leaves with a solution of boric acid. To do this, you need to dissolve 2 g of boric acid in 10 liters of water. In summer, the leaves are watered with salt water (20 g of raw materials per 10 liters of water).
- Hilling and loosening. After the evening watering in the morning, you need to do the loosening of the soil. Do it not too deep (2-3 cm). This procedure will prevent the formation of an earth crust, so that the roots can receive oxygen. It is also recommended to huddle every 20 days. To do this, you need to slightly loosen the soil, and then sprinkle it on one and the other side of the bush.
- Mulching. This is a very important procedure to keep the soil moist for a long time. Sawdust, peat, straw, and other plants are suitable for these purposes. The thickness of the layer to be laid is 5-7 cm.
It is necessary to proceed to harvesting when the leaves begin to turn yellow, dry and fall to the ground. If this has been happening for a week, then it's time to dig up the beets. This should be done on a dry and fine day. Using a fork, slightly pry the soil, remove the root crop and leave to dry on the garden bed. Further you need to cut off the foliage, leaving at least 2.5 cm of petioles, shake from the rest of the soil and proceed to sorting.
Prepared root vegetables must be laid to dry under a roof or in a well-ventilated room. Only then can the crop be transferred to a place where it will be stored at a humidity of 90% and a temperature of 0- + 2 degrees.
Wooden or plastic boxes are suitable for root crops. For better storage, they must be sprinkled with sand.
Diseases and pests in relation to this species
The variety in question resists the following diseases:
- powdery mildew;
- fusurium wilting;
The main parasite that infects beets is the fly. To prevent this from happening, in the spring you need to water the leaves of the plant with a salt solution. Beet aphids also attack beets. To combat it, it is better to use chemicals, for example, Fitoferm. After 2 weeks after using the product, the roots can be used for food.
Prevention of various problems
The following preventive measures will help prevent the appearance of various problems:
- To protect the beets from downy mildew, the soil should not be waterlogged.
- If the leaves begin to dry and wither ahead of time, then the reason is the lack of full watering, which must be carried out 1-2 times a week.
- Small and sluggish roots. This is the result of insufficient plant nutrition, therefore, fertilizing must be applied regularly.
Beetroot Kestrel F1 is a tasty and healthy root vegetable that can be grown in the garden without any problems. And although the variety is high-yielding, such results can be achieved only if all agricultural practices are followed.