We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Azalea resembles a child, because, like a baby, it requires careful care and attention from the very first hour in a new home. Therefore, it is important for her to organize comfortable conditions so that the plant pleases with growth and flowering.
Inexperienced care will quickly reduce the efforts made to zero, so before buying, find out about the intricacies of taking care of this capricious flower.
How is rhododendron taken care of in the store?
Shops buy azaleas from nurseries, where workers do not think about healthy development and further flowering. Plants are planted in containers with low-quality soil for transportation. In stores, they create the look of a well-groomed and blooming azalea with the help of special fertilizers, although in fact the flower is in a state of sleep.
Chemicals stimulate the growth of only the bud, and the roots do not receive all the necessary substances. Fertilizers maintain the attractive appearance of the plant for a couple of months.
Where and for how much is it sold?
Azalea is sold in the following organizations:
- online store;
- construction hypermarket;
- a small stall or flower pavilion;
- floristic salon.
Prices in St. Petersburg and Moscow differ little:
- In Moscow, prices vary from 200 to 2900 rubles;
- In St. Petersburg - from 250 to 3100.
The following factors explain the price variation:
- A kind of azalea.
- Plant size.
- The size and material of the flowerpot in which the flower is sold.
It is important to properly care for your azalea. We recommend that you read about pruning and watering your plant.
What to do first after purchase?
- Leave the azalea in the packaging for 20-30 minutes to adapt to the new conditions.
- Carefully remove the packaging from the flower and inspect it. If there are traces of decay, mold, fungus or poor soil quality, then a transplant is required.
- If the azalea is too dry, pour it with soft water at room temperature or make a bath: place it on 2/3 of the flowerpot with a flower in a container of water at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Place the plant in a bright and cool place. For the first two weeks, the azalea should be shaded or placed in partial shade.
- To remove the stress from changing conditions, it is recommended to fertilize the flower. To do this, the next day after purchase, water the plant with a solution of zircon and spray it with it if there are no buds.
- For disinfection, pour phytosporin after two days.
How long is the adaptation period?
It is possible to consider an azalea adapted to new conditions only after it fades and gives new shoots. However, the decisive time for adaptation is from two weeks to a month.
How to care to preserve the purchased plant?
Next, we will tell you what to do after you bought the plant.
Do I need to transplant?
The decision to transplant an azalea is made based on the condition of the plant.... An early transplant is required only for those flowers that have the following problems during examination:
- Decay, mold or mildew.
- Poor quality soil in a flowerpot.
- The plant is flooded.
- Azaleas became a small pot.
- Root system problems were found.
If none of the above is found, then it is better not to touch the plant until spring. The minimum adaptation period is 2 weeks after purchase. After this time, you can transplant.
How to transplant an azalea:
- It is important to take care of the roots: free them from soil containing chemicals. To do this, completely dissolve the Kornevin and Zircon products in warm and soft water. Gently remove the plant from the pot, cut the lump from the bottom by a centimeter and soak in the solution for 2-3 hours.
- Choose a pot for transplanting an azalea shallow and wide. Fill it a third with expanded clay or small pebbles. Put a thin layer of sand on the drain. Next, add some heather or azalea soil.
- Carefully remove the flower from the solution and let it drain.
- Place the plant in the center of the flowerpot and cover it with soil up to the root collar.
- Sprinkle earth over the roots and add soil to the sides of the earthy ball.
- Moisten the soil with Kornevin solution.
- The next transplant using the transshipment method will be required in two to three years.
The plant should not be transplanted during dormancy or flowering.
We offer you to watch a video about the nuances of azalea transplant after purchase:
Where to put the pot?
Ideal location criteria:
- No direct sunlight. To do this, place the plant next to the windowsill so that the sun's rays come into contact with it through the tulle.
- Wet. Humidify the air with a spray bottle, moss, or indoor fountain.
- It is advisable to isolate the plant from other flowers in the house for two weeks.
- No drafts.
- Away from heating appliances.
Conditions of detention
Optimal conditions of detention:
- Lighting... As already mentioned, azalea loves bright and indirect sunlight. When buying in the warm season, it is allowed to take it out to the balcony in partial shade. In winter, it is necessary to organize supplementary lighting with phytolamps.
- Temperature regime... The plant needs to be provided with a room without temperature fluctuations. From October to December, it is recommended to place the azalea in a room with a temperature of + 6-10 degrees for the formation of kidneys, and in the rest of the time - up to +17.
- Humidity... The flower requires high humidity conditions. To do this, you can humidify the air with the help of improvised means or pour kermzite into the pan and pour water regularly.
When moistening with a spray bottle, cover the flowers with your hand so that water does not get on the buds.
After transplantation, azalea is not moisturized for three to four days.... The first watering is carried out with settled boiled or filtered water at room temperature.
Watering is recommended in the morning every three to four days. Water is poured into a tray, and after 15-20 minutes the excess is drained. You can determine that the plant needs moisture by the weight of the pot: when it becomes light, the flower needs to be watered.
What should i avoid?
Azalea is protected from factors such as:
- Temperature changes, dryness or cold. In winter, make sure that the plant does not come into contact with the frozen glass.
- Excessive watering. Waterlogging can lead to root rot.
- Azalea loves to be cool, but do not pour cold water on it. Overcooling of the root system can lead to fungus or other unpleasant consequences.
In the photo you can see a plant that is properly looked after at home.
Indoor rhododendron problems and solutions
If the azalea withers, then this indicates inappropriate conditions.... The most common cause is poor soil. In this case, transplanting with subsequent fertilization will help.
If the reason that the plant wilted was the wrong temperature conditions and excessive or insufficient humidity of the air and soil, then here's what you need to do to restore:
- Monitor the humidity and either start additional humidification, or, on the contrary, stop it.
- Check temperature conditions. Move the azalea to a cooler area or away from sunlight.
If the plant begins to shed its leaves, the following steps should be followed:
- Examine the soil for rot, mold, or vermin (possible spider mites).
- Spray the plant with Epin or Zircon. If there are buds, then this should not be done.
If, nevertheless, processing is required during flowering, then it is allowed to spray the plant, covering the buds with your hand.
- After two days, water and spray with phytosporin.
- Apply this alternation of funds within two to three weeks.
Throwing off yellow leaves indicates insufficient soil moisture or excessive lighting.
Undoubtedly, azalea requires increased attention. It takes a lot of effort to grow such a beautiful plant. However, it is not a pity to spend neither energy nor time on caring for him. With proper care after a period of acclimatization, the azalea will thank you for its care with its flowering for many years to come.