We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Due to their beneficial properties, carrots are grown in almost every vegetable garden and are present on the dining table.
People are aware of its positive effect on vision problems, and carrot juice relieves fatigue and helps with vitamin deficiency. This vegetable is often used in cooking in a variety of ways.
But in order to grow tasty and healthy carrots, you will have to try and follow certain rules for caring for the plant. This article describes in detail the basic rules for growing carrots at home.
Why is it important to take proper care of a vegetable?
Since carrots are a rather capricious vegetable, it is very important to take into account all the nuances when growing it. Otherwise, the root crop will have an unpresentable appearance, an unpleasant taste and, in general, the yield will be low.
- If you do not water the carrots on time, then the growth of the plant will stop and the root crop will be covered with hair.
- Fertilized soil will make the carrots crooked.
- Lack of nutrition will also have a negative effect on taste.
Watering, feeding and other work
- Watering Is the process of supplying water to plants. When growing carrots, it plays a huge role. During the growing season, it is especially important not to forget about watering.
- Top dressing this is the introduction of organic, phosphorus, potash, and nitrogen fertilizers into the soil. This activity helps to grow strong and healthy plants. Suitable for feeding carrots:
- Manganese and Barium.
- Loosening the soil it is necessary to improve its air-gas regime, maintain humidity, and also reduce the number of pests. Careful loosening helps to get rid of weeds. It is best to start loosening after rain or watering your carrots.
- Weeding is also necessary, otherwise the weeds will interfere with the growth of young carrots. To navigate when weeding, where the carrot sprouts are, you can plant radishes, spinach or lettuce along with the carrot seeds. They will sprout quickly and you will see which areas need to be avoided when weeding.
- Thinning allows you to increase the distance between roots.
- Mulching Is the process of introducing homogeneous materials or mixtures of substances when growing plants to protect the soil from overheating, weeds and drying out.
Step-by-step instructions: how to care for a plant for a good harvest?
The first time after planting in the open field:
- Water the seeds immediately after planting.
- For a high-quality harvest, the frequency of watering is important.
- After the carrots have been covered with plastic wrap, you do not need to water them.
- As soon as the first shoots appear, the film is removed and at this time the plants are well watered.
- Weed 10-12 days after germination. Use a small metal rake. The weeds are taken out by hand.
Later after landing:
- After 3-4 weeks, the carrots are thinned (you can read about exactly when you need to thin out the carrots here). For convenience, use tweezers to help grab even the thinnest stems at the base of the earth.
- During the thinning process, the plant must be pulled straight up so as not to damage the roots of adjacent shoots.
- For the first time, you need to leave a distance of 3-4 cm between the plants, pour the remaining sprouts with warm water.
- The land around you needs to be compacted, and the aisles must be loosened.
- Immediately after thinning, feeding is carried out with a solution of urea and potassium magnesium.
- The second thinning should be done three weeks later, when the plants have reached 10 cm in height. This time, the distance between the roots is increased to 6-7 cm.
- Carrot mulch is laid when the plant reaches a height of 15 centimeters, and the roots become pinky thick. The mulching material must be dried.
- The ground should warm up well before mulching.
- Substances that acidify the soil are not suitable for mulching carrots.
- Do not tamp mulch.
- Too thick layer of mulch kills carrots.
- Then potash fertilizers are applied.
- In early August, you can feed the carrots with ash.
- At the end of July, a small hilling is done.
The subtleties of agricultural technology
Carrots impart a sweet taste to the sugar that forms in the root vegetables. In order for the taste to be as sweet as possible, proper agricultural technology is necessary. In this case, up to 4-11% of sugars accumulate in the fruits.
What techniques help to increase the sugar content of carrots?
- Avoiding organic fertilizers... Manure gives root crops an unpleasant iodine flavor. Organic fertilizers are permissible only if they were introduced to feed the previous crop.
- Suitable landing site... Carrot beds should be in a sunny area. It is possible to plant roots in this place again only after 3-4 years.
- Regulation of soil acidity... Carrots are very sensitive to changes in acidity levels. Even slightly acidic soil reduces the sugar content of the root crops of this culture. Only by planting it in a substrate with a neutral reaction can you achieve a sweet harvest.
To neutralize acidity, use lime at the rate of 0.3-0.5 kilograms per 1 square meter. Scatter the lime and rake it into the topsoil. Liming of the site is carried out every 6-8 years.
- Top dressing of the soil:
- In the period from July to August, feeding carrots with nitroammophos will be useful. Pour the prepared solution (30-40 grams per 10 liters of water) between the rows of plants (2-3 liters per running meter) and pour clean water.
- In August, be sure to feed the soil with micronutrient fertilizers with boron and manganese. With the help of them, you can increase the level of vitamins and sugars in carrots.
- Wood ash will also have a positive effect due to the content of boron, manganese and other nutrients. Add half a glass of ash to 1 running meter, cover it in the soil with a hoe and pour clean water.
- At the end of August, feed the carrots with a boric acid solution. To do this, dissolve 1 teaspoon of boric acid in 1 liter of hot water and dilute in 10 liters of water. Spray the plants with a cooled solution.
- Pest control... To prevent carrot flies, plant onions next to the carrot beds. You can get rid of this pest with the help of a tobacco mixture. When thinning the beds, sprinkle it on the aisles.
- Correct predecessors... In order to have time to apply the necessary fertilizers for carrots, its predecessors must be crops that are harvested early, for example, onions, cucumbers, early potatoes or early cabbage.
To increase the size of carrots, you need to get rid of excess growth. Thinned carrots receive more sun and nutrients, which means they will give strong shoots. A large amount of free space contributes to an increase in the size of the root crop.
We offer you to watch a video about the features of agricultural technology for growing carrots:
Mistakes and how to avoid them?
- An improperly formed furrow and too deep seeding can kill the plant. To prevent this from happening, it is necessary to deepen the groove by 2 centimeters, and then tamp it with a hoe handle.
- Too much watering, watering with cold water or no water at all before and after planting carrots. Do not water the beds until green sprouts appear. Otherwise, the carrots will start to rot. This problem can be solved by systematically watering the beds.
- Superficial and slight soil moisture leads to the formation of a stiff rhizome. Such a vegetable has a bitter and pale core, and the carrot itself sometimes grows to bulky, shapeless balls. To avoid this, you need to thoroughly water the beds, but not turn them into a swamp.
- To prevent carrots from growing tasteless, the soil must contain phosphorus.
- Never add fresh slurry when growing carrots. This will greatly affect its sugar content, cause deformation of the fruit and depletion of root shoots. Apply only rotted manure to the beds or use agrochemical fertilizers.
- The lack of thinning of the beds contributes to the formation of small root crops, so follow the procedure on time and do not neglect it.
- Soil with strong acidity and a large amount of nitrogen fertilizers can cause cracks in carrots, which affect not only its appearance, but also the shelf life. The right soil handling at the right time will help avoid this problem.
Despite the challenging conditions for growing carrots, do your best to achieve an excellent result. Fulfillment of all the rules for planting and caring for root crops, as well as planting at the right time and in the right weather, will provide you with a high-quality and tasty carrot harvest. And even and beautiful beds will decorate your garden.
We offer you to watch a video about the stages of growing carrots: